The Wicked Imp

The Wicked Imp

Saturday, September 18, 2010

TV AS SEXUAL MEDIUM


It was a challenge finding television programming to watch before my bedtime (9PM), but I finally managed to get all three shows covered.  All were repeats, but I think they filled the bill.  I noticed that there was not too much graphic/implied sex.  Perhaps it’s all on cable?  I caught two episodes of “Bones” on the CW and one episode of a newer show I’ve not seen before, “The Good Guys”.

The first episode of Bones was on Sunday night at 7PM, followed by another at 8PM.  The first one had plenty of verbal flirting between the two main characters.  This occurs on nearly every episode I’ve managed to catch, and the characters are still learning about each other’s lives and personalities.  They are both attractive and usually wind up in situations that encourage double entendres.  Often they are forced into very close proximity and the viewer is certain they will kiss.  Alas, not this time, either… 

This time, they are solving the cause of death/murder of a body they have discovered and in doing so, retell the story of teenage pregnancy out of wedlock, as well as one character struggling to remember an embarrassing sexual event from his past.  Fortunately for him, it does not exist, though he does discuss some conquests without too much detail.

The second Bones episodes involved the solving of a murder when their facility is locked down on Christmas Eve.  A virus/bacterial element was the cause for the emergency.  This was the device used to justify two attractive men having to shower.  Since only one shower was available, they showered together to expedite things.  Later they were shown in a few scenes with just towels wrapped around their waists.  I’m ok with this, really.  They were different, but attractive, each in his own particular way.  One is boyish and the other is muscular and slightly hairy, bearded... It’s hot in here.  Now, where was I?  OK, back to the story.  They had discovered a murder victim and went into his back-story of him being a white man in love with a woman of color and she was pregnant with his child.  Nothing notable these days, but we’re talking about Oklahoma in the 50’s and 60’s.  This was not a bright shining moment in this nation’s history in regards to equality. 
 
During this lockdown, one of the regular characters gets a little tipsy and declares that she will kiss each of her friends/colleagues under the mistletoe.  She even tells her best friend that she will kiss her, too, but not in a sexy, lesbian way.  I thought this was pretty cool to portray it in such a positive manner.  This particular character is very free and non-judgmental in love and romance.  She has had interracial and same-sex relationships on the other episodes I have watched.  She has even been linked with the muscular, slightly hairy hotness mentioned before.  C’mon Dave, stay focused.  Equal opportunity show for portraying males and females as sex objects, this a good thing.  I dislike double standards.

Finally, The Good Guys was a comedy/drama.  It has two male leads as police detectives, including Colin Hanks, son of Tom Hanks.  There is a strong resemblance to his father.  Two of the crooks vocalized their attraction for each other when perpetrating criminal behavior.  I found this an odd fetish, but, who am I to judge?  There was lots of male/female kissing during these moments when they were “hot” for each other.  One of the characters (undercover at the time) was stripped down by his cronies to make sure he was not “wired”.  He then proceeded to beat his partner in an effort to maintain his “cover”.  I found this interesting because he was wearing briefs, not the usual, more modest boxers.  Leave it to Fox Television to push the envelope, right?  Pushing it more might have involved the character actually showing some outline of his jiggly bits, though.  He looked more like a “Ken doll” than an actual human adult.  It’s OK, he did have a decent backside.  I know, that’s what you really wanted to hear/know…

No comments:

Post a Comment