Watching the documentary about violence and sex in pornography was really an eye-opener. Since I don’t watch straight porn, I had no idea the scale of violent acts. I wonder if art is imitating life or the other way around, possibly a bit of both. The digital depiction of sex with children really set me on edge as I know adoptive families whose new family members have been abused in sexual and other manners. I’m glad to hear that is now illegal. However, it is still legal to produce films that have adults with very young looking actors portraying underage victims.
I find it interesting that other forms of degradation, stereotyping and willful violence are so easily depicted. I know that my major concern is consent, but do people become less sensitive to the feelings of others as they view these films? Do the lines between reality and fantasy become blurred? I don’t know what the answer is, but we must all take responsibility for our own actions, especially when it comes to our interactions with others.
No comments:
Post a Comment